You are eligible for VA loan benefits if you served on active duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable after either 90 days or more, any part of which occurred during wartime, OR 181 continuous days or more (peacetime)

You are eligible if you enlisted (and service began) after September 7, 1980, OR were an officer and service began after October 16, 1981, you are eligible if you have completed 24 continuous months or more, OR the full period for which ordered to active duty, but not less than 90 days (any part during wartime) or 181 continuous days (peacetime).


If you are now on active duty, you are eligible after having served on continuous active status for at least 90 days. When an ending date is established for Persian Gulf War service, a minimum of 181 days of continuous active duty will be required for persons who did not have wartime service.


If you are Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve of any of the Reserve components which consists of units and individuals who participate actively in paid training periods and serve on paid active duty for training each year, including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves as well as Army National Guard and Air National Guard, you are eligible if you completed 6 years as a member of the Selected Reserve and you received an honorable discharge; were placed on the retired list; were transferred to the Standby Reserve or an element of the Ready Reserve other than the Selected Reserve after service in the Selected Reserve characterized as honorable; continue to serve in the Selected Reserve.


You may be eligible if you were discharged for a service-connected disability, or were discharged for the convenience of the government after completing at least 20 months of a 2-year enlistment; OR you completed not less than 90 days (any part during wartime) or 181 continuous days (peacetime), and you were discharged because of a hardship, or were determined to have a service-connected compensable disability, or were discharged or released from active duty for a medical condition which pre-existed service and has not been determined to be service-connected, or received an involuntary discharge or release from active duty for the convenience of the Government as a result of a reduction in force, or were discharged or released from active duty for a physical or mental condition not characterized as a disability and not the result of misconduct but which did interfere with your performance of duty.


As a military spouse, you may be eligible if you are not remarried and are the spouse of a veteran who died while in service or from a service connected disability, or are a spouse of a serviceperson missing in action or a prisoner of war.


Certain United States citizens who served in the armed forces of a government allied with the United States in World War II.

Individuals who served in certain organizations such as Public Health Service officers, cadets/midshipmen at service academies, officers of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, merchant seamen with WWII service, and certain others.